Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mama Lellow Mama

My son is still sick. Thank goodness he likes to drink infusions and tea so i can give him hot ginger and honey to sip on. But this morning I knew I was gonna need some health boosters so i fixed up some "purple balls" and butternut squash for him with some local honey. Needless to say, he wondered what i was giving him because it wasn't cereal with coconut milk.
So i decided to switch on his fav, Babies the documentary, and proceed to spoon half of the mixture and half cheerios (in coconut milk) for him while he was distracted thinking he wouldn't notice my down the hatch attempt. Well, to my surprise he preferred the concoction.
Bingo! Mama gets a gold star.

Late today at nap time it was one excuse after the other. =) typical, hehehehehe.
1."Mama, baby ba ba. Mama baby boo'. mama baby ni' ni'." translation: mama the baby needs a baba change. or maybe some boob or maybe it is time for baby to go to sleep [like me].
2. "mama ba ba poo poo." translation: mama i need a diaper change cuz I went poo poo and if you dont come in i will attempt to give myself one.
3. "Mama lellow mama" translation: mama i am coloring mama...
SHOOT! Coloring, where did he find a coloring utensil?
I open the door to this:
My son has emptied the baking soda out of the diaper pale and artfully made a mural for me on his floor. It is a big mural, and it was very hard not to crack a smile.
"baby i love you. you are gonna be just like mama, my lil artist...Now let's lay down and take a nap. Cover yourself up. Nite nite."

Dinner tonight: Sweetcorn and Rice
Recipe tonight, compliments of The Rasta Cookbook pg 64. I love this book because every recipe is super simple and a mama can make it with out a ton of work. Get's ya far in my world. Plus the food is good and my toddler and teenager eat it.

Ingredients
1 medium onion
1 red pepper
1 c sweetcorn
2.5 c water
2 T vegetable oil**
0.5 c coconut milk
freshly ground pepper
1 c brown rice

1. Peel and slice onion, de-seed and slice red pepper into strips
2. Place sweetcorn and water in sauce pan, boil and simmer.
3. Meanwhile, saute onion adn red pepper in oil over medium heat until soft
4. Add softened onion and pepper to  sweetcorn, mix coconut milk, fresh ground pepper and washed brown rice
5.Cover off, let simmer for 20-30 min. until rice is soft and water has been absorbed

**Note on oil. I like to use many different oils but my favorite is coconut oil. There is a blogger who has fabulous information on coconut oil and it's health benefits, her site is www.hybridrastamama.com. Here is her information on coconut oil. In this recipe I use 4 T of coconut oil


No comments:

Post a Comment