Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Birthday to Post!

I can't believe it has been 2 years. 2 years! since he was born since that beautiful day when he came into this world and we looked into eachother's eyes. Boom!!! I became a mama and it feels great!
I am so blessed!
This is how my son eats Cake:
1 year

2 year





















Here is his birth story from 2 years ago:

Post Alder Stoker
Birth Story


One week before this little blessing was born I was at my Midwife appointment and I asked about the positioning of the baby and how exactly low this little one was. She said she could do a cervical exam, it may hurt…but I was up for it. Surprised, she said that his head was really low and that I was 2cm dilated.

Sunday May 23rd 2010
Cyrus and I decided to go to the mountains and enjoy some fresh air. I was thinking to myself that it would be interesting to go into labor in the mountains. We stopped in Nederland, CO at the lake and took a short walk. On the way back my kidney and my back started to give me some pain. Coming down the mountain the pain didn’t really stop, it only hid, and then came back. I decided to go to work and the pain made it too hard to get around so I went home shortly after speaking to the midwife. She informed me that I could be having Braxton Hicks in my back and that it could be in combination with dehydration. A co-worker mentioned that she felt the baby was going to come on Friday. I didn’t want to say anything at the time but for about a month I was getting dreams and feelings that the baby would be born on the 28th: that he would be here early…


Thursday, May 27th, 2010

I woke up that morning in love with everything I normally wasn’t in love with. Nothing could have crashed my world.
I went to a meeting at 6a, went on a walk with my best friend Jenna, went to my midwife appointment to get a check up (she check to see how low the baby was: I was 3cm and 80% effaced.
After the appointment I met with my mother to do some shopping. However, I was getting shooting pains in my legs and had to squat, unbeknown to me, she was timing these little sits…she knew the baby would be here soon.
I got home and really wanted to go to the pool and have my maternity pictures taken underwater but the water was too cold for Cyrus to get in and we waded. I saw a little spider trying to climb atop a drowned bee…so I inched closer to move the spider to land. Cyrus pushed me in; and I continued to try to save the spider, only for it to float to the bottom and try to crawl to safety. Later, that evening we went to dinner for curry to celebrate Zeke’s completion of middle school…

At 11:50pm I went into labor, but I didn’t know it at the time. I thought that I was having indigestion due to the curry. In my birthing class I had learned of hypno-birth and had done some of the exercises on the CD only to become very frustrated with the woman’s voice, and ultimately trashing the idea of using it in my labor process. Interestingly enough, I began to use the finger drop technique that was used in the CDs. As I watched my finger drop, I closed my eyes and told myself to dive deeper and deeper. I imagined myself diving and swimming to the depths of a water world that comforted me. When the contraction had passed I would open my eyes, bewildered that a tool I opposed before had been used.
I then realized I was in Labor. I rolled over and said, “Papa, we’re gonna have a baby.” He opened his eyes only to tell me that he was dreaming of that exact thing. I rolled over to nurse another contraction as he gently rubbed and tickled my back. After a couple more times of this ritual, Cyrus said, “Let’s go on a walk.” I rolled out of bed and we slowly made our way to the door between contractions.
The moon was bright and I remember a couple of days prior mentioning that it would be funny if I had the baby during the full moon. That night was the end of the full moon. The moon was dissolving the clouds as every couple steps we would turn and hold each other, and slowly sway, during my contractions. I could hear frogs and turned to Cyrus and said, “You hear the frogs? Let’s go frog hunting.” We continued the walk down our street toward the frogs, toward the water, toward the lake. Walking down the middle of the street we passed a Lilac bush, which I had learned days prior from my Doula, Christine, is an aphrodisiac, We stopped and turn to each other as I noticed the sent of this flower made my contraction disappear. Cyrus took the branch off and I held it as we walked further in the moon light. Suddenly, I noticed that my contractions were getting closer and stronger.
This made sense: in the midwife office I was reading about how the hormone oxytocin works during labor. Oxytocin, being the love hormone, when it is released in the body during labor softens the cervix and allows the baby to drop. In return as the baby drops the baby releases Oxytocin to the mother and this exchange of love continues.
We started to talk about what to bring to the hospital. Once we had gotten back to the house and were packing I couldn’t bend down, get across the room, or get down the stairs without having a contraction. And if Cyrus wasn’t there next to me I resorted to staring myself down in my bathroom mirror to make myself dive further into my water of safety.
Thank goodness the hospital is right down the street and walking distance if need be. It was part of my original birth plan to see if I could walk to the hospital but after the moon lit walk we had taken earlier, I knew it would take hours to get to the hospital and I didn’t think that I could comfortably make it.

Friday, May 28th, 2010
We pulled over multiple times in the neighborhood leading to the hospital and finally pulled up to the sleepy emergency room door at 4:44am. Cyrus got out of the car to get a wheel chair and I opened the door only to, thankfully, release at my feet the rest of my curry dinner. Cyrus comes out and says, “Let me move the car up for you, Mama.” I climbed into the wheel chair to find that this wheel chair was made for someone much larger that I was. We joked on our stop-and-go walk to the elevator about how this must be someone else’s wheel chair and that we must have stolen it. Oops. We get upstairs and they were ready to get us in a room, as the emergency room clerk had already informed them that we were on our way up. They rolled me in.
My Midwife on call, Gina, arrived shortly after to see how everything was going. I was 4cm and 90% effaced. They had me strapped to a monitor to screen Post and my contractions. They kept asking me to rate the contractions between one and ten but being that I had nothing to compare them to I told them I couldn’t. They mentioned that they could see my contractions on the monitor but couldn’t tell when I was having them by watching me and I wouldn’t rate them for them. So, they talked about sending me home and I could return later. At this point Cyrus was lying with me and holding me. Having his heart next to mine helped me breathe through intensifying contractions. I couldn’t eat anything of drink anything without throwing it back up.
Cyrus got me a piece of gum because before I left the house I hated that taste in my mouth from the curry. Right after he slipped that gum in my mouth, I shook my head and spit it out. I couldn’t handle strong smells or tastes. The nurse said, “I am going to have the midwife come in and check you. Buzz me if things are progressing.” She left the room and I buzzed her back to tell her things were progressing. I must have been having a contraction when she was talking to me because I didn’t answer her before she left.
The midwife came in and checked me. I was then at 8cm. I turned to Cyrus and said, “Call Christine and Nathan.” The nurse and midwife left and as Cyrus was on the phone with my brother my water broke. The midwife and nurses were changing shifts so Gina ran water in the tub for me as Angela the next midwife arrived. They examined my water and said that they thought there was Meconium in my water and explained to me what that meant once that baby came.
They helped me to the tub and I climbed in right as Christine, my Doula, arrived. She came in to talk to me and I feathered through my contractions. Closing my eyes and breathing them away. My birthing team kept asking me to tell them when I was having  a contractions because they couldn’t tell… so they kept me talking until I said, “Hold on a sec…”
That’s the only way they knew when the contractions started, and when I opened my eyes they knew I was finished. They’d ask me to compare it to the last one and whether I felt pressure. Later, the nurse asked if I wanted aromatherapy and I replied that was fine. She got some oils and asked me which one I wanted. I told her the last one, but when she put it in the water I couldn’t handle the intense smell and I told them. “Ok, I am ready.”
I got out and it was time to start pushing this little wonder out. They checked me again and told me that there was one more fluid sack and they were just going to make a small cut to release the fluid. To that the fluid looked clear and they decided that the color in my water was just from the Perineal massage I was doing the past two months so that I wouldn’t rip during birth.
I pushed for 2 ½  hours in every position they could think of: I was on my back, squatting, on my knees hugging the bed between contracts and moving into child’s pose during pushing, sitting… I remember being given coconut water, because I refused to be on IV. I remember at some point needing to be on oxygen. And I remember Cyrus’s voice, “Mama, your hair looks amazing.” In which I cracked a huge smile.
The midwife told me she was going to have me stand up and do a lunge. I stood up as Cyrus helped me. Here I have to make note that Cyrus is my strong-hold especially during this important moment and for that, among so many other things, I love him so dearly. As I stood I needed to bear down and held onto his neck trying to pull him to the floor. I stood up again only to hear his voice, “Mama, this is what we are going to do. When you go down I am going to put my knees in between yours and help spread them apart further. You tell me if it is too far. After a couple times…
“Come on! Come On! One more push, Jess.”
“You can do it.”
“Quick Breathe in.”
“Stand up one more time.”
To that I said, “I can’t.”
I pushed one more time and kept thinking, I just want to meet my son. And heard the midwife say, “Oh, that’s what was in the way…”
And there they placed my son in my arms to my surprise: I had thought I only pushed out his head and now this little wonder was out in the world and in my arms!

I had had a dream a couple months prior about my son the moment he was in my arms, what he looked like, the color of his skin, the way his face was going to look, his lips, his ears, his eyes… and I have to say he looked exactly like my dream.
I knew I was going to have this little one early. In fact, I knew that this one was going to arrive the 28th of May. If you would have asked me and pried it out of me, I would have told you. I remember waking up one morning saying to myself, yep, this one is coming early.
They placed him in my arms.
We wanted to wait until all of the blood was done pulsating to Post before we cut his cord and during that time wanted to breastfeed him. My brother walked in shortly after Post and I were moved to the bed and watched as Cyrus cut the cord. Post was then officially in the world.
I learned later that Post had his left hand next to his face. This hand we call The Claw, as it seems to have a mind of its own and be in everything.

Post’s Birth was all natural: no pain killers, no augmentation, no stitches, no complications, and Mama made a sound only once.

Nathan (my brother), Cyrus (my hubby), Me and Post, Christine (aka. Mama C, My great friend, Sistren, and labor doula), and Angela Stevens (My midwife)
post alder stoker
may 28th 2010
12:36pm
7lb.5oz.
21in.
I love you, baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment