Saturday, June 9, 2012

Good Old Recycled Fun!

So we are moving and today I swung by Whole Foods to get boxes from produce and grocery and specialty. Here is a note on that, if you need to pack things heavy go for Produce boxes first (bananas, apples, oranges) then alcohol boxes. If you just need boxes, and some big ones, hit up grocery. They have a wide array. Make sure you stop by in the morning because that is the main time things get stocked.
So i brought home a bunch of boxes. I hear some shuffling and my middle child is setting up boxes in the living room, crawling through them, climbing in them, and letting out the biggest amount of laughter. So Note here: if it is a rainy day and your kids need some fun. Swing by the grocery store and pick up boxes. Here are some things you can do with them:

build a fort
build a castle
make a tunnel
make a haunted house
make an obstacle course
make robot costumes
invent something (like a hug dispenser, or a cookie dispenser....you'll figure it out)
play basket ball
.....the list goes on.

Some of my greatest memories where with boxes and moving to Washington has provided me with the opportunity to harvest my children's imagination when they are stuck indoors for a Super (and I say super because I like to play in the rain) rainy day. I have a fantastic list going and will post it soon.

So at about 3 months I put our middle child in a play saucer, tucked a towel behind him and watched him have fun standing and sitting. No more always laying down. I don't get as much time lately to do tummy time with our youngest, but my mom suggested letting the little one play in the exercise-mobile we have from her house (she had it for Post). Great idea. So today while box time was ensuing at great proportions of gayety, I set Xire up to enjoy some play time of his own.
This little booger has been an independent soul ,of sorts, since in the womb. And I am not sure independent is the correct word. I will come up with a better one when i find it. So in the womb, i swore he was a girl, had dreams he was a girl....found out: not a girl, that is a big ol' penis on the screen. Alright. I later went through a period of time when I felt less connected to him as I did with Post. I mean with Post, i knew exactly what he was going to look like at birth and at the age he is now, I also was positive he was a boy. So far all my prego-dreams have been right for him. But Xire tends to prove me dumb every time. He is my miracle lesson in submission to the universe. For instance, he is an IUD baby. You know they rate those things so high for not getting prego, well let me tell you, I know a lot of IUD babies. Also, my body just knew that thing was not supposed to be in there: is this menstrual blood? is it a baby? is it my husband? no. no. no. Out. Out. Out it went. Midwife found it in my cervix, give it 2 weeks that bugger would have been out. So that is how this lil angel came about, against the odds. And he has been pushing for his way ever since.
I thought he might not like standing in that thing and playing because Post could only handle it for 10 minutes. Nope, that lil dude hung out in there twice today for 30-40 minute increments. The last time was in the kitchen while i prepared Post's dinner and Post thought it so great to see his brother playing in something he used to enjoy....granted this is on the other side of a gate. They sat there giggling and cooing at each other for a good amount of time.


So since we are moving I gotta get rid of this freezer, I mean what is in it. And I challenge myself to a duel. I am gonna cook with all of it until it is gone for the next weeks. Here is what i got in there:

Artichokes
Asparagus Vegi Blend
Asparagus
(6) bananas
Basil
Blueberries
(2) Beets
Butternut Squash
Breaded okra
cauliflower
Caribbean Green Sauce
Corn on the Cob
sweet corn
(3) Cod fillets
Shredded Cheese
(3) 1 lb. blocks of cheddar
Edamame
Ginger
Halibut Fillet
Hot Chili's
Kale
mango
(2) Orange Juices
Parsley
Peas and Carrots
Pepper Strips
Pie Crust
Pineapple
(2) Pineapple Starfruit juices
Sugar Snap Peas
Strawberries
Stir Fry Vegis
Swedish Meat Balls
(2) Sweet potato Orange Pineapple mix
(2) Tomato Sauces
Tomato Paste

Not that you may be interested but here it is. And now I am gonna blow through it in recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment