Monday, June 4, 2012

40 days and counting

 My husband left today. It is always a bittersweet departure. Half of me knows that this means the next time he comes home there will be a U-haul loaded in the driveway and i am excited (40 days and we will peace out from the SLC); the other half knows I will fair packing and time without my best friend and I am apprehensive.

I get cranky every time he leaves. Those days I don't want to talk to him and I am moody. And once he leaves I spend the rest of the day in my room sulking and watching foreign romantic comedies. I'm such a sap. He is used to it and is a good sport about it because there are times I can be a full out.....a-hem, female dog. He is used to the tears and long hugs. I think he secretively likes it so I will snuggle him after being snappy all day.

I suppose the hardest part is the 2 year old missing his papa and wondering where he went and when work ends exactly: will he be home for story time? But he snaps into things and knows papa is at work and will be home soon, a word he has no concept of. It is however hard for him to go from a ton of attention to just mama juggling 3 boys. I love him cuz he really does try to work with me; in actuality, they all do. Here he is playing my bass:

All in all this works for our family and for our relationship. Both of us have spent time in long relationships where every moment is spent together, and for me it was o so stifling. This works because he gets him time without me and the kiddos, and I get time without him, and when he is home I get time to myself, though as much as i try to stretch it, i miss all of them after about an hour. Plus when he is here it is wild and crazy fun time! As much as I crank about the hard times when I wanna rip my hair out, I forget by morning or in a couple days when i see one of the kids do something funny or beautiful.

I love my husband. Wouldn't trade him for anything or anyone in the world. I am so loved by him and so cared for. He is so patient with me when i know he is at the brink. I couldn't really ask for more in a man. He provides for his family and enjoys doing so. He loves his family and especially his children. He knows how to be serious and silly. When I was younger I always wondered about the secret moments in elder's relationships (you know when we take our hats off at being parents and we are ourselves again). Now I finally know what that is like and it gives me more respect for my parents and grandparents, etc. Because we are human and we have this amazing ability to LOVE!

Candied Salmon over Garlic Buttered CousCous
ok here it is again: Israeli couscous, I love this stuff! Here are some facts about it besides that kids will eat it. It is High in Vitamin C and potassium. You get 8g of protein per 1/3 c of this stuff, for those looking for a protien source other than meat this is your friend. It is my friend.

1 lb Salmon, washed and cut into portions for serving
2 T of oil (use your fav.)
4 T Black Strap Molasses (<--another health friend, Google it)
2 T Stone Ground Mustard
4 T Dill (Fresh (chopped) or Dried)
3 T Butter
1 c Israeli Couscous
1 c water
garlic powder

1. In a small bowl, mix oil, molasses, mustard, and Dill. Stir and set aside
2. Set oven to High Broil. Foil a cookie sheet and lay out your Salmon.
3. In medium sauce pan, heat butter until melted over medium-high heat. Add Couscous and stir. Add water, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes
4. Meanwhile, pop Salmon into oven for 5 minutes.
5. After Couscous has simmered for 5 minutes, Remove couscous from burner and keep lid on for 5 minutes
6. Salmon: open up oven and with a spoon spread some molasses mixture over top the fish. Broil for another 5 minutes. Repeat adding molasses mixture when time is up and put back in for 3 mintutes
7. Put couscous on plate and sprinkle garlic powder to your liking on top. Place fish next to couscous.
Bon appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment