Sunday, May 19, 2013

Vertical Garden!

vertical garden 2 weeks after turning vertical
Ok I have done it and it is going ultra successful!
Back in March I decided I needed to start sprouts to go in my vertical garden. Being that i don't want to rip up my property and I actually want to enjoy the beauty of my vegetable garden where I can see it daily.... i decided to go vertical.
Note on Starting sprouts. Mother Earth works the way it does on purpose. Not all of the sprouts came up the first time I planted them. In fact, some i had to replant in the same container and they still didn't come up. When the majority of them were ready i transplanted and then pulled out the heating pad and moved the containers under their humidity dome to the window.
WHAT?! what is this? Sprouts.....nothing of this business came up under the grow light or the heat pad. Why?
Because they wanted something closer to the real Deal.
In April I started to harden my sprouts to prepare them for the vertical gardens and the pots I was going to plant for my Warm Warm plants like pumpkin and tomato. Then May hit and my family came out and helped me plant all my sprouts and lift the 100+ lb. Vertical garden into the raised planter I had built.
In the raised planter I have planted Strawberries and Carrots. In pots I have: Chamomile, Tarragon, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Hyssop, French Mint, Chocolate mint, Dill, Tomatoes, Lemon Cucumbers, Watermelons, Pumpkins, Summer Squash. In the Vertical Garden, Arugula, Cilantro, Basil, Green Onion, Garlic, Beets, Spinach, Kale.

My vertical Garden I up-cycled a Wooden Pallet. Backed it with wood, surrounded the sides with doubled Landscaping paper, Set a Wick Self-watering system made from up-cycled liter bottles and synthetic strips of material, and filled with dirt. I did run into unforeseen problems like my wick systems amount of let down and dirt moving. Both were easy to fix. The wick system I just secured the caps over the wick to slow the amount of water dripping so now instead of instant let down I get about 6-8 hours for the bottle to empty. The movement of dirt i fixed by holding some dirt in place with a piece of cardboard stapled into the pallet. it worked and it can decompose. Once the roots establish the soil wont move much.
The planter base is about 4.5 feet by 2 feet and i quick easy built that bad boy and slung it on some cinder blocks. Home Depot's recycled wood part in the back near the saw is handy dandy.
So here are some pics:

planter base built

the idea of the set up

strawberry planted

The beginning of hardening


squash, pumpkin, cucumber,  watermelon

Post's sunflowers in egg shells

wick system in and soiled laid

second batch hardening

Plants in and vert up

wick system holding water

less than a week and kale is already biggggger and cardboard holding


No comments:

Post a Comment